the worst of milan fashion week

milan fashion week has officially come to a close and overall i found it pretty amazing. but there were also some less-than-stellar attempts at fashion this season and i think it's just as important to discuss the bad as the good.  so let's have some fun and take a look at my favorite worst runway shows of milan's ss 2011!

Number 5
ROBERTO CAVALLI

cavalli has some really great ideas... the problem is that he mushes them altogether, then adds 2 tons of fringe until you can't quite tell what you're looking at.  i liked the flowy feel of some of the long dresses, i thought the overall color palette was lovely and sophisticated, fringe can be awesome, macrame is beautiful, pant cut-outs can be cute, and i don't mind some animal skin now and then - but when thrown altogether like this the end-result is reminiscent of an uber-slutty female crocodile dundee gone on a coke-induced killing spree. dearest roberto... less is more.
the worst of looks of the collection:


the best looks:


Number 4
MOSCHINO

the fact that this collection was presented as "ready-to-wear" made me laugh out loud because it is anything but. some of the pieces, if taken by themselves and properly styled with something else, would make attractive statements, but on the whole the collection is cheesy. it's unfortunate because western inspiration is pretty awesome. however, moschino has taken the theme too literally and married it with patterns that just don't work. all the red, white, blue and american flag references are campy and kind of weird. i do love the shoes however.
worst looks:
best looks:

Number 3
JIL SANDER

some people are praising this collection but i think sander missed the mark. though i enjoy things that are a little off-beat, this one was off in that bad way. bright colors made several appearances on milanese runways, but sander's color choices just didn't work together. the overwhelming amount of fabric could drown a small child and the ruffle-tented skirts remind me of the circus. the suits aren't flattering on the models, i don't know how anyone of average build would be able to wear them. i love the idea of pairing a plain tee with a grandiose skirt, but this just isn't the way to do it.  a few of the looks were decent enough, but a large majority were either ridiculous, boring or didn't seem to fit into the collection.  
worst looks:
best looks:

Number 2
PRADA

i'm so sad to be including prada on this list.  i think miuccia is awesome but this collection is just ugly, and not in an interesting sort of way. when did "ill-fitting doctor's scrubs" become a desired shape of clothing? what is with these  prints and for the love of god, bananas? i love some whimsy in a collection but this is less whimsical and more king kong's crazy college acid trip. as with jil sander, i think the bright colors paired together in this collection don't work. but where as sander at least had some interesting, flattering shapes and a concept to stand on, prada does not even have that. miuccia commented backstage that it's "time to be bold." i personally think she's confused bold with tacky. can you imagine if these clothes didn't have the name prada attached to them but instead were done by a new designer?
worst looks:

 best looks:

And the Number 1 spot goes to...
MARNI

what?.. and why?... were the only things that came to mind my first time viewing this collection. half scuba suits paired with ruffles, leather swimmer's caps and some tacky plasticized fabric reminiscent of drool repelling material, all work together in making the models look like escaped mental patients. if i saw a woman walking down the street in one of these schizophrenic little numbers i'd be torn between laughter and fear. but then... it gets even better! amidst the deep-sea scuba-ruffle experiment, grandma's floral picnic blankets come waltzing down the runway in what i feel was intended as a diversion to distract from the upcoming brown and green sequined homage to Bowser. because every little girl grows up aspiring to look like the villain from mario bros. my biggest problem with this show is that it feels like it's trying to be different for the sake of being different.  in fact, marni's designer said her goal was to push sportswear as far as she could. but pushing the envelope just for the sake of it, without an artistic statement, is pretty hollow in my opinion.
 worst looks:

 best looks:

how do you guys feel about these collections? some of them received praise, as in this ny times article, but i found the article to be rather weak and contradictory in it's statements.

32 comments:

  1. lol...truly appreciated the adjectives used to describe the clothing lines you didn't like (my favorites were grandma's picnic blankets and escaped mental patients). ahh, i do enjoy a heavy dose of sarcasm, and i like the fact that you're not afraid to criticize what you didn't like. too often people will wear clothing just because it has a label on it (i.e. your comments about "if this didn't say prada...") and i'm glad to know that when we meet, you definitely will NOT be wearing a hideous shirt with bananas. hope you had an awesome time -- that must have been so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that you posted the worst and best out of the collection. I might have to do that for my next review of a collection!
    The first collection was just horrible! I wonder what he was thinking, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I actually liked many in the first collection. Love the pants. The rest have too many colors all meshed together haphazardly. They make my head hurt. The clown/rodeo/cow boys and girls is especially funny in collection two.

    If I get my body back and lose this weight, I'm going to wear plenty of fringe!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Some of those designers really fluctuated between hideous and gorgeous! The black dress from Prada is classic and beautiful, as is the purple number by Jil Sander but some of the 'worsts' look like carnival costumes! And I agree with amy lynne, I love your descriptions!!

    -Samantha
    http://sincerelysamantha.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i personally dislike prada's collection... the proportions are way off! no women wanna look like that in my opinion...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Omg you totally cracked me up! the Crocodile Dundee line was friggin' awesome LOL! I agree with you - these collections were just plain...'WTF??' And as for the Cowboy themed collection...I was like, what on earth!? That was just taking it waaaaaaaaaay toooo faaar lol This was an awesome review! :)
    xxoo Dominey

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehehe, i'm so glad you guys are enjoying this. i definitely had fun writing it.

    @amy - i agree, too many people fear saying anything negative about a collection of an established designer brand. it's depressing and annoying. i think it's part of what makes fashion a difficult industry to stomach at times.

    @heather - thank you! i did that because each line had something beautiful and redeemable about it. and i wanted to be fair.

    @spiritiual fashionista - i know exactly how you feel. there's alot within the cavalli collection that i liked, but all at once like that is just kind of dizzying. and it makes many of his pieces unwearable by the majority of the population. while i'm all for some healthy weightloss, i think it's a little ridiculous that anyone beyond a size 2 is exempt from this entire collection.

    @samantha - yeah it's crazy that the black prada dress was in the same collection as the rest of that. when i saw the black dress, everything down to the furry shawl and shoes struck a positive chord with me. and agreed, the purple jil sander dress is beautiful, but it doesn't fit at all in the collection.

    @michelle - amen. no one wants to look like that. if i see a single woman in milan dress like that next spring/summer i am promptly snapping a picture and posting it here.

    @lola - haha, yay! i love making people laugh so it makes me happy you enjoyed that. and yes, moschino's cowboy theme was definitely taken way too far. no one wants to leave their house looking like an actual saloon girl... but a subtle and beautiful saloon girl inspiration would have been really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO your comments have me laughing!!! But I def agree esp about Cavalli "but when thrown altogether like this the end-result is reminiscent of an uber-slutty female crocodile dundee gone on a coke-induced killing spree. dearest roberto... less is more." I thought the same thing maybe not in the excat phrase but I def. thought slutty half ripped clothing. And for Moschino...um it looks like an american flag threw up. I'm sort of stunned by this and Prada. What the heck!?

    I love that you did this post not a lot of people would go out on a limb and do a post on the worst of Milan (or any other) Fashion Week. It's a great freshing post with def. some great sense of humor and style notes.

    http://fashionistanygirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks heather! i've noticed that, a lot of bloggers or even fashion journalists don't dare say anything but i don't really get what the big deal is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Your reviews are priceless. One of the most entertaining reads to date.

    Perhaps there was an underlying circus theme to Milan Fashion Week since some of the looks from Moschino look like the clown costume my brother wore for Halloween one year and then we have those circus skirts at Jil Sander. Not to mention the circus monkey bananas at Prada. Give it a month and we will all be wearing red rubber noses! Great post love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post! It's not as much fun talking about only the things you liked if you don't provide contrast and your descriptions are hilarious. Also, my gut reaction to poofy ruffley things around the hips and the attempt to bring peplums back is a big, anti-pear-shaped "oh, please, no".

    P.S. I LOVE your Clockwork Orange design, especially that you included the eye make-up, so evidently I don't mind the actual Droog costume. ;) I guess that's why I like theater costume design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Originale e carino questo post tesoro!
    baci baci
    Giulia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jil sander is fab!

    Puck
    http://oneofpoints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing with us best and worst of Milan fashion week.
    I enjoyed your comments.
    I sometimes wonder myself! What these designers are thinking?
    I was expecting more from a Milan fashion show.
    I was expecting better from Prada.
    Your comments made it less painful. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think they're all pretty hideous, to be honest! it's a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you pointed out the worst, not just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, wow! I didnt know that designers have their worst look. Whenever I read magazines, they always talk and show the best look. I love this post, you pointed out both the worst and best look (unbiased).
    xoxo
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  18. @danielle - a lot of people share your sentiments. =P

    @katie and katy - thank you! i love fashion and i think it's important to discuss both the good and the bad. it's true, magazines never seem to show you the bad on the runways, and i think that as a result the majority of the population develops a kind of skewed understanding of the big brands.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am strangely attrrached to the worst of Roberto Cavalli. I might need an intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @fashion butter - no, i can definitely understand it. there are things about the roberto cavalli looks that i like. in some ways he's so great, i feel like he just doesn't know how to edit down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAAAA! What in the HELL happened at Prada? Lord. And Moschino...it's like someone took a Union Jack and an American flag, put them in a blender, then shot them onto models with a water pistol. Geez.


    ♥ V
    http://www.gritandglamour.com
    twitter: @gritandglamour

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree that a lot of the pieces would be much better styled differently and worn seperately. I heart those three Prada dresses you highlighted as wins.

    ReplyDelete
  23. @connie - me too, i would wear any of those three. i can barely believe they are from the same collection as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lordy lord?! What the hell was going on at Prada?! It looks like something straight out of Robert Mugabe's tranny collection. Tacky and expensive!


    I like your fave picks and I really like the Moschino ones, especially the suit and the "Bardot" look!

    PS: this " uber-slutty female crocodile dundee gone on a coke-induced killing spree" made me spill my tea all over my laptop! lol perfect description!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I saw Roberto Cavalli's collection I was like "omg Shakira!" and so many Shakiras walking down the runway is a nooo nooo
    I do however love the first of the best, it's like shakira couture so it's much better :p
    Prada - WTH BANANAS??

    fashionatemybrains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I actually enjoyed the Cavalli show...I see where you're coming from, but I got a rocker chic vibe from the collection that I dug!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey cool blog!
    I like your way to critic ... but I think that we are in a total opposite mind.
    Please visit my blog and tell me what you think about. I hope you'll be one of my followers.

    Bye LB

    http://lucabelotti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. i agree!!! expecially about cavalli and Prada!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i LOVED this season's Prada, and Marni was great too. But my tastes run a bit more quirky than you. I'm not a Caravalli fan, but Moschino gets it right most the time. This time he did seem a little cliched and garish, but again, like the Prada list you actually picked outfits I loved. LOL. We certainly won't be wearing the same dresses come spring 2011.

    Fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. haha, well fashion is totally subjective and i can definitely understand that tastes run different. also, there's something to be said about the importance of styling as well. =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I both agree and disagree with you, while also thoroughly enjoying this article. What I mean is that while I would not wear any of the looks from the worst categories head to toe, I felt that there were good ideas represented and I enjoyed many of the color palettes. It sorta seems like the designers didn't know when to stop and edit. Maybe that is because the overall trend I see seems to be drawn from eclecticism. Since this is already a street look, the designers have to push it to the limits and make it a dramatic show. Sadly, I agree that the results, although inspiring to me (ie: full of ideas I will edit or color palettes I will steal) do not seem flattering or attractive. J.S. for example, even an amazonian would drown in that much fabric. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. hey melina, i love your comment. i agree with you 100%. i wanted to be funny with this article and kind of play with the lighter side of fashion critique, but i definitely feel there are pieces within these collections that by themselves, styled differently would make for an amazing outfit. especially in moschino! designers definitely have to push the envelope, but in my opinion, taste should always be a concern. either way, i still feel we can take inspiration from this, but having some fun with it and pointing out the things we don't like is ok too. =P thanks so much for your thoughtful comment, i love comments like yours.

    ReplyDelete