the haze that is fashion week


It's fashion week season again and my perfectly inverse relationship with it is in full swing. a quick reminder of the things that make it interesting and awesome should hopefully serve me well right about now.

I love the shows, the madness of the backstage. each time a model turns the catwalk I hold my breath, as I tend to do whenever I get excited. the creativity of some designers leaves me, literally, breathless. I take photographs because it feels like the only possible way to process it all.

photographing a runway or fashion presentation is a rush. there's a definite high that accompanies it. the energy in the room right before a show is practically frenetic. you can feel the tension, the excitement, the anxiety, the passion all intermingling into some brand new sensation. when the show finally starts, your attention is transfixed. after the fact, I always find it hard to recall what happened during. it becomes a beautiful haze, warped and transient, accentuated by the sound of my camera's shutter.

but as with anything, too much goes bad. past seasons I flailed around cities attempting to get to all the shows I was invited to and I hate that. it's like saying the same word so much it starts to lose meaning. nowadays, I try to tailor down my attendance. go to only the shows that sound most interesting, focus and give myself entirely to the moment as opposed to being halfway someplace else during it. I photograph only as I want to photograph it and I'd never again take a job requiring me to devolve the concepts and hard work of creatively brilliant designers into something as meaningless as a trend. boiling things down for bite-sized public consumption is the death of all that is interesting.

so have a wonderful fashion month everyone. and remember: never, under any circumstances, attempt to speak to naomi campbell.

(all photos shot by me during NYFW, MFW and LFW. includes shots from carolina herrera, fashion fringe, jena.theo, jenny packham, ermano scervino, dolce & gabbana, nahm & concept korea)


17 comments:

  1. So many beautiful photos and creations <3!

    www.creativityandchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures! I love fashion week as well and it can provide so much inspiration. I am sure it is amazing like you said in real life. I hope to go someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a blast this week--- I am sorry we won't be running around together (but let's be honest, my feet are already swelling they would never survive the mad dashes and what's a show recap without cocktails?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice collection!
    http://www.gloria-agostina.com/wordpress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful fashion month to you too. i can't wait for the new photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a good photographer and writer. love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to have lunch w/Naomi, but at the last minute i thought not to. hahaha. have a great time at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. i love fashion week.so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8.9.12

    Can't wait for more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool photos!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love last photo. what an amazing creation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful pics!!!
    xo


    glamDevils

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome photos!!! So many beautiful clothes :D
    xo




    glamDevils

    ReplyDelete
  14. looooove all the collections!

    youstylexx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The beauty of fashion week...i miss checking out the runway shows... Beautiful photographs love... You always have been one of the most beautiful photographers ever!!!

    Kisses,
    Sweet
    www.pensandlens.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These images are sooo inspiring, thank you for sharing!

    xo/Allison

    ReplyDelete